Does the thought of writing a press release make you cringe?
Fear no more!
After you have gone through the following 10 essential tips for writing press releases, your press releases will flow from your fingertips… well, maybe not, but you will have a pretty good idea of the basics of writing a standard press release.
Here are your top 10 essential guidelines to writing press releases:
- Make sure the information is newsworthy.
- Tell the audience that the information is intended for them and why they should continue to read it.
- Start with a brief description of the news, then distinguish who announced it, and not the other way around.
- Ask yourself, “How are people going to relate to this and will they be able to connect?”
- Make sure the first 10 words of your release are effective, as they are the most important.
- Avoid excessive use of adjectives and fancy language.
- Deal with the facts.
- Provide as much Contact information as possible: Individual to Contact, address, phone, fax, email, Web site address.
- Make sure you wait until you have something with enough substance to issue a release.
- Make it as easy as possible for media representatives to do their jobs.
Follow me on Twitter:
Become a fan on Facebook:
If you respond to this blog in the next 3 days – just hit reply and let us know what day works best for you (see availability below) – we will schedule a free 10-minute phone call for you to discuss your press release needs with our Editorial Director Delroy A. Whyte-Hall, who has edited over ten thousand press releases.
Please be assured that this consultation will not be a thinly disguised sales pitch. It will consist of the best intelligence Delroy can supply in a 10-minute time span. We’ll even help come up with possible press release ideas if needed. There is no charge for the call, but please be advised that the call must be strictly limited to 10 minutes. No commitment. No obligation to purchase anything.
AVAILABILITY: Delroy is available most business days between 12:45pm and 1:45pm Eastern Time.
- Jamaica – via local telephone
- International – via Skype
Please let us know what day you would be available. We will confirm scheduling and exact time by email.
WHYTE-HALL COMMUNICATIONS: 751 Diamond Avenue, Eltham Meadows, Spanish Town, St. Catherine, Jamaica.